Part 5, Note 51

Click Here to See All Notes to Part 5

Colorado County Bond and Mortgage Records, Book E, p. 127; Colorado County Deed Records, Book L, p. 280; Colorado Citizen, August 15, 1857; Record of Appointment of Postmasters 1832-September 30, 1971, National Archives Microfilm Publication M841, Roll 122. The Goods purchased the land from James Reels, whose father, Patrick, had patented it only eight years earlier. According to The New Handbook of Texas (vol. 3, p. 472), Harris was the son of John Richardson Harris, who was the founder of Harrisburg and after whom Harris County had been named. By the summer of 1859, if not before, Harris held a seat on the board of directors of the B B B & C (see Colorado Citizen, July 2, 1859). The first Colorado County post office named Eagle Lake had been established on George Washington Thatcher's plantation on June 19, 1849. Thatcher served as postmaster until June 29, 1854, when the office was discontinued. Two years later, on April 5, 1856, the office was reestablished, with John Thatcher as postmaster. He was replaced by Good. An 1879 article on the history of the county stated that Good's post office was about a mile from what by then had become the city of Eagle Lake (see Laura Jack Irvine, "Sketch of Colorado County," American Sketch Book, vol. 5, no. 3, 1879, p. 95).